Luis Prados Ramos



In the event of the death of a family member who is the owner of the supplies, it is necessary to terminate the supply or make a change of owner of the light and gas.

The death of a family member is a very painful moment in which what we least need are administrative problems.

For this reason, in this article we are going to tell you what you have to do to solve all the energy procedures of the person who has died.

And it is that, when someone dies and is the holder of an electricity or gas contract, a close person -usually the spouse, children or parents- must take charge of the energy since in a house the supply if there is no owner.

In addition, it should be remembered that in the event that no one is responsible for it, the closest relatives must take charge of the debts even if they did not want to. For this reason, it is necessary to execute this management as soon as possible.

How to change the owner of natural gas and electricity?

 Family members have two possibilities in these cases:

First of all, if no one is going to live in the home where the owner had the supplies activated, the service can be canceled with a simple death certificate and proof that the applicant is responsible for the home.

Secondly, if you want to continue with the supply, what you have to do is change the owner of the gas and electricity with Endesa, EDP or the corresponding retailer. if you need to know how to change natural gas owner and electricity with your retailer you must contact it through its customer service channel, either by phone or internet and also by going to a customer service office.

Can I change the rate?

 Once the change of ownership has been made, the new person in charge of the supplies can change the rate at the time he considers it appropriate.

But, what electricity and gas rates to contract and with which company (Iberdrola, Endesa, EDP...)? For this you can use a comparator of electricity and gas rates; With this tool, which is completely free, you will be able to find the energy contracts that best suit your personal situation.

You can also find more information about energy contracts on the internet, such as Iberdrola's electricity rates, which are discussed in this complete article:

What documents do I have to have prepared?

 When it comes to both canceling the supply and changing the owner of death, a series of documents must be kept in mind that must be presented, in addition to the aforementioned death certificate:

  • Name and surname of the new owner.
  • DNI, Passport or Residence Card of the new holder.
  • Identity document and full name of the previous owner. It is important to have it since some companies give problems, as they indicate in this article.
  • Rental contract or housing deeds.
  • Bank account of the new owner.
  • Phone number.
  • Email.

Once all these data are provided, the owner will change or, in the event of requesting cancellation, the supply will close. For the latter case, a technician will have to come to lower the supply, but for the other case, the retailer will simply change the data and the new owner will be able to continue consuming electricity. On the other hand, it should be remembered that the change of owner does not take place immediately, so it is likely that you will receive an invoice in the name of the deceased relative before the change occurs. This is because normally the change of owner takes about 15 days to take effect and most likely it will coincide in the middle of the monthly billing closing.

Collaboration for our Papernest blog




Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.